Monday, April 23, 2012

The temptations of suffering

I was thinking this morning about an essay I first read many years ago and have reviewed numerous times since then.  The title of the essay is "Teach us to care, teach us not to care" and it is written by Eugene Peterson, a well known author but more importantly a now retired pastor and seminary professor.  The essay is about the process of pastoral counseling.  He recognizes that most of the people who come to pastors for counsel are suffering in some way.  His point in the article is to remind those who counsel that this person who comes for help and who you want to help is not only the victim of suffering but also an agent, an actor.  He has not only been sinned against, or had some trouble happen to him, but he also chooses and acts himself. 

A main point that he makes in the essay, which I was thinking about this morning, is that all those who suffer often use the occasion of their misfortune to get their own way.  While God is trying to do a work of spiritual growth through the trouble, those who are the victim of trouble are often tempted to use the trouble to get their own selfish way, rather than allow God to use the trouble to make them holy.  This is a very real temptation for all of us who are suffering any sort of misfortune.


I see the problem in myself.  Last week while I was feeling pretty sick, I was sitting on the couch with my 13 year old daughter.  The TV show we were watching was one of her choosing and which I was not interested in watching.  So I suggested to her that since I was the one with cancer and not feeling well because of chemo-therapy, she ought to let me watch what I wanted to watch.  I gave in to the temptation to use my illness to get my way and in so doing I sinned.  I was not in any way concerned about my daughter.  I was only thinking about me.  Being sick does not exempt me from my responsibility to love my daughter.  I don’t have the right to manipulate her.  I can ask her to change the channel.  We can negotiate a mutually satisfactory solution to one TV and two different tastes.  However I do not have the right to use my illness to get what I want from her.

Speaking of the TV; here is another temptation facing those who suffer; at least it seems like a temptation for this sufferer.  I know that God has sent this trouble to me so that I might share his holiness, that my faith might be proved genuine and thus result in glory when Christ returns.  I know that the Scripture says that the source of joy for the believer who suffers is the knowledge of Christ’s saving work and that glorious future that awaits (1 Peter 1:3-6).  However, in my day to day suffering I find it far easier to sit in front of the TV and find “joy” in watching the Brewers play baseball or watch another episode of “Chopped” (That’s a cooking show for the uninitiated), or watch a movie than to actually seek God’s help to be satisfied in Christ.  Now I know that there is a place for being distracted from the discomfort by watching entertainment.  However, I also know that some of my TV watching is really a replacement for finding my joy in Christ.  I know that I could use the energy I do have to pray and read and talk with my wife rather than vegetate in front of the TV.  I am tempted and sometimes succumb to the temptation to use my sickness as an excuse to not seek God or do any other useful thing.

There are other temptations that face those who suffer which I may discuss in the future.  However, one thing that strikes me as I reflect on these two temptations and their accompanying sins: those who suffer need to pray “The Lord’s Prayer” as much as those who are not at the moment suffering.  I need God to make his name appear glorious to me.  I need Christ to rule my heart, to be my king.  I need to do God’s will today, while I am sick.  I need God to provide me with the physical strength and stamina to do his will today.  I need him to forgive my sins as I’ve forgiven those who have sinned against me.  I need God to not lead me into temptations that will lead to me sinning but I need him to deliver me from the evil one.  Pray it for me and I will pray it for you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, am praying for you John. Thank you for praying this for others. This is so very encouraging, your honesty about seeking things of the world outside of prayer or fellowship with loved ones or reading God's Word or doing for others out of love.... as being a distraction from your suffering yet more importantly acknowledging it as an excuse to not seek God...and your confession regarding using your illness to manipulate your daughter. I know God honors confessing our sins.
I heard someone the other day preaching on the tests and trials we face in our journey, and one of the points raised was that it is likely we are experiencing God's answer to our prayer to conform us to the likeness of Christ.
Your raising the point about needing to pray the Lord's prayer is awesome. Over the last few years I have come to realize we are in essence asking God to punish us when we do not have a heart of forgiveness for others.
By His Word we know it is His love for us behind this punishment.
When we hold resentments in our hearts, we invite God's love through correction.
On the other hand, suffering and decay, as you know, are nothing compared to the Glory to be revealed at His coming.
God, thank you for preparing our hearts that we may choose to obey what we know by your Word, according to your perfect will for our lives.
In Christ's name, amen.

anne said...

We live in a culture that LOVES pity parties, and it seems right, justified when you are suffering that you should get your way. But like you pointed out, that in itself is sin even if it feels/looks right.
Even in the suffering Christ endured he NEVER used any of his suffering to feel sorry for himself...and he didn't even do one thing wrong, ever!
It is helpful for me to be reminded that even our hardest suffering, or suffering we witness others' enduring of the Lord's prayer, and rejoicing in everything,
Prayer is key...it is essential.
I hope we can all continue to preach the gospel to our selves each day... and be doers or the word { James 1 is great for this conversation...as I'm sure you are well aware}
-with love you DIL- A

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Amen.