Thursday, April 12, 2012

More weakness

I picked up a really bad cold a couple of days ago and today it knocked me down pretty good.  It feels like one of the worst colds I've ever had.  I had so many plans for things I wanted to get done this week, which is supposed to be "good" week, but as a result of this cold I've had to cancel and postpone things and have not been as productive in my study and writing.  I would not be truthful if I did not say I am disappointed.  I am not a very cheerful person to be around today.

I have to face the fact that my having a cold and not being able to do all that I wanted is God's will for me.  This too is part of his discipline for me, part of the weakness he sends so that I will discover that his grace is sufficient, so that I will share his holiness, so that the genuineness of my faith will result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus comes back.  I know these things but it is still difficult to accept and embrace.  As is always the case, understanding the gospel and its implications and even being able to teach the gospel or write about it is not the same thing as living it out.  Living the truth of the gospel is far more difficult than understanding it and teaching it.  As is the case for every Christian, my living always falls short of my knowing.  What to do?

I must go to God and confess my sins (1 John 1:9), giving thanks to God that they are forgiven because of what Christ has done for me.  I then must ask that he enable me to see the wonder and beauty of Christ and his saving work by the power of the Holy Spirit so that my heart truly does rejoice in him.  It is only as my heart rests in Christ and rejoices in him that I will be able to accept and even boast in this additional weakness recognizing it is given to me to increase my hope in and love for Christ.  Would you pray that God would mercifully enable me to find rest in him alone and to learn to boast in my weaknesses so that the power of Christ might rest on me.  Thank you.

No comments: